It is no secret that we prefer attractive and well-designed products, from the clothes we wear to the cars we drive. The effective use of design in business differentiates us from our competition. We are more likely to understand the value of design in “marketing” materials such as the classic business logo, printed promotional material, and web design. But do the benefits of excellent design stop there? What about the workplace or business environment?
Everything in your business should integrate the message and culture of your business, including the layout of your interior space, the artwork on the wall, the way merchandise is displayed, the interior finishes and materials, lighting, and furnishings. There are many benefits of a thoughtful and well-designed business environment, such as:
- First Impression – Your space should immediately convey a clear message about your business culture. Clients or customers will be more receptive to your products or services in a well-designed space that makes them feel comfortable and welcome. It is proven that clients who enjoy your business environment will be loyal repeat customers.
- Productivity – Employees work more productively in well-designed spaces, with less absenteeism and lower turnover. Also, spaces with improved air quality, lighting, and ergonomic furnishings are important factors in recruiting new talent.
- Assess - Make a quick assessment to compare your mission statement with the physical reality of your business or workplace. Is the culture of your business evident the minute you walk through your front door? Is it visually evident that you practice what you preach?
- Plan – Consult a design professional to explore ways to align your workplace with your mission and value statement. Simple and affordable changes such as strategically replacing furniture, changing wall color, improving air quality, optimizing natural light and views, adding new artwork, and improving lighting can often make a major difference. Longer range plans could include re-configuring your space to encourage collaboration or new workplace amenities.
- Implement – Budget and move forward with the changes that will have the most impact.
MAGINNISS + DEL NINNO ARCHITECTS, pc, collaborates with clients to create simple, elegant solutions to complex design challenges. The practice welcomes a diversity of projects, and is equally passionate about working with clients to analyze the feasibility of a project as it is to create innovative interior environments or new buildings. The firm honors the distinctive character of the communities where it works, and every project reflects the unique elements of its urban context and our client’s requirements. Maginniss + del Ninno Architects is a steadfast advocate for resilient and sustainable design.
Maginniss + del Ninno Architects is a majority women-owned small business. Please visit the web site at www.mdnarch.com for additional information.